Monday, June 2, 2008

Changes

Now, I'm pretty sure that my psychologist friends will disagree, but I think personalities can change quite dramatically over time or as the result of significant events or changes in a person's life. I say this because I think it's happened to me at several points.

When I first took the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (or some free knock-off available online) during my freshman year in college, I was an ENFP, which seemed accurate. But I changed quite a bit that year, and when I took the test again a few years later, I was an ISTJ, exactly the opposite. Again, it seemed accurate, though. Why the change? Well, I'll just look at one example:

When I was part of a "we," I was much more introverted, preferring to keep close to home and not interested in meeting new people. I'm sure part of that was because I was simply content spending most of my time with him, but I also think it had a lot to do with the fact that he was an extreme introvert, which I believe "rubbed off" on me a bit.

Even now that I'm just me again, I've continued to say things like, "I don't like big groups," or "I'm not good at meeting new people." But I'm realizing that that is no longer true. I love meeting new people! In fact, I've recently been getting to know quite a few cool new folks from Kenwood Baptist through my awesome friend Christy, and from Four Corners through playing soccer with Lance and those guys, and most recently friends of a friend (Grace) of a friend (Kristen)... (And, incidentally, when I took the Myers-Briggs again just now, it says I'm an E again, though the rest is the same. Hmm...)

Anyway, I'm so grateful to have all of you as friends! Thanks for being part of my adventure. :-)

No comments: