Thursday, June 26, 2008

Reusables?

So, my parents came down to Cincinnati today to help me pack everything up so I can move out of this apartment and head off to New Jersey next week. And you know, I must say, although I don't enjoy the packing and moving, it sure is a good way to consolidate all the junk we Americans tend to accumulate when we stay in any one place too long. Well anyway, as we were going through old stuff and making decisions about what to take, what to pack, what to throw away, etc., my mom remembered that my old wedding dress is still stored away in a closet up at their house. So she asked me what I might want to do with it. She assumed that I probably wouldn't want to hang onto it now since the sentimentality is gone, and that perhaps I'd want to sell it. "Also," she said, "if you do get married again you probably won't be having another big formal wedding, right? And even if you did you wouldn't wear the same dress." Hmm, I hadn't really thought about all that. But now that I am, yeah, I suppose I'd have to agree: it'd be a little weird to wear the same dress. Still, it's a shame, because it's a really nice dress...

Anyway, that whole discussion reminded me of a similar dilemma I've been facing regarding my old ring. If I try to sell it, I'll get much less for it that it originally cost or than it's really worth, so my first thought was to take the diamond out and use it if and when I do get married again. I mean, if my future fiance had it reset, it'd be like a completely new and different ring, at least in my mind. But some friends have told me that they'd be surprised if he'd be comfortable using a diamond that was purchased by my ex. Hmm. Yeah, I can understand that. But again, it's really too bad: that could save a good bit of money...

Thoughts, anyone? About the possible weirdness of reusing these things, or perhaps other ways to make use of them?

1 comment:

Angela said...

I think I missed something. Are you moving to NJ permanently?

About the ring and dress...I dunno. My first thought is that if/when you get married again, you'll want a fresh, new beginning with him. So I'm thinking instead of reusing the diamond for wedding #2, maybe have it reset into a necklace for you to wear anytime?

As for future wedding #2, you won't need or want that dress. I see you totally going for an outside, more casual ceremony.

Just my thoughts, friend.Have fun packing!? :o)