Saturday, May 24, 2008

Written Language in the Digital Age

Emails, blogs, IMs, text messages... These new forms of communication have become the standard in our digital age and are undoubtedly more convenient than their precursors in many ways. And yet I can't help feeling like we're losing the art of written language as we become more reliant on these modern technologies. Maybe I'm too traditional, but I still prefer to read things with "proper" grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., and I must admit that I judge people based on their writing skills. Poor grammar is the most offensive, followed by misspelling, and lastly punctuation (or lack thereof). If, however, you take the time to do these things well, I will respect you that much more. I should also confess that I always proofread even the most casual emails I send, and still feel rather uncomfortable IMing without capitalizing or punctuating. (Is that a word?) But don't get me wrong: I'm still a linguist rather than a grammarian. So go ahead and end a sentence with a preposition!

(And now I'm reading and rereading this post, wondering what errors people are going to point out... That's fine, feel free.)

1 comment:

sarah cool said...

My mom is an English teacher... I feel the same way!!!!!