Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Criticism Countered

Today, I continued reading in Acts, chapters 3 and 4. Two things stood out to me:

In chapter 3, Peter heals a lame man, then begins speaking to the people gathered there. He talks about how, even acting out of ignorance, they helped God fulfill what the prophets foretold about Christ's suffering. Then he says, "Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord . . ." (Acts 3:19-20, ESV). Refreshing comes from the presence of the Lord. How often I forget that and how naturally I turn to countless other gods seeking refreshment! And then in verse 26 he says, "God, having raised up his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness" (italics mine). Non-believers criticize Christianity's limitations and laws, but here I'm reminded that God blesses us by freeing us from our own wickedness. In His power I am, for the first time, free to choose NOT to sin. Oh, but why don't I utilize that power more often to choose good rather than evil, holiness rather than sin!

And then in chapter 4, Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, begins preaching again: ". . . there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). Again, Christianity is criticized for being exclusive and intolerant, and yet Peter boldly proclaims the only way to salvation. He knows what is true, and he will not be silent. In fact, he says, "we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard" (Acts 4:20). The believers there that day prayed, too, for continued boldness in proclaiming truth (vs. 4:29). Why am I so different from those early believers? Why is it so easy for me to remain silent about all I've seen and heard? Today, I echo that prayer for boldness. How can I possibly keep quiet with all my God has done for me?

No comments: