Friday, April 16, 2010

Acts 6

Two things stood out to me as I read this chapter tonight.

The Twelve decided they should choose some reputable men to take care of the widows while they themselves continued preaching the word (Acts 6:1-6). It's not like they were above waiting tables or anything, but they knew where their gifts were and wanted to be faithful in using those gifts for the glory of God. I think it's easy sometimes to consider certain ministries more "important" or at least more "glamorous," but we are all part of the same body, called to serve in whatever way God equips us. Praying that God would confirm and/or reveal to me how he's specifically prepared me for ministry, and praying that my service would please him.


Then, some men started arguing with Stephen, "but they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking" (Acts 6:10). So what did they do? Accept that wisdom and join the body of believers? Of course not! They secretly plotted against him, seized him, and set up false witnesses against him. Why are men (and women) so stubborn sometimes? Praying that God would show me ways in which I'm stubborn, too, and change me with his word of truth.

No comments: